“There were a total of 10 tourists in the tour group and they were snorkelling in shallow water, about one meter deep. We were alerted to the situation when someone shouted for help after finding that Mr Guangdong was in trouble,” said Mr Jampen.
“I think Mr Guangdong breathed in water because he did not know how to use the snorkelling equipment very well. It was very lucky that the officers and tour guide were there to help,” he added.
Mr Guangdong was reportedly on a six-day trip to Thailand with his sister.
“To avoid any such issues in the future, we again emphasize that tour guides provide tourists with instructions about how to use the snorkelling equipment before letting them go into the water,” said Mr Jampen.